Sunday, April 5, 2009

crystal chandelier for your Princess







I know I haven't posted in a while. I cant tell you how overwhelmed I have been! I am slowly but surely trying to redecorate the kids rooms. Hope had seen the crystal chandeliers that are all the rage now and wanted one but I could not afford the huge price tag that came with most of them. I found this old light for a dollar at a yard sale and decided to see what I could do with it I have toi say it was ugly brass and half of the candle covers were missing so I replaced those with pvc from the hardware store. I found acrylic beads at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale 1/2 price. I would have loved to make this with Swarovski crystals but it is for a child's room after all and I am trying to decorate on a dime here.

I am sorry that I did not take step by step pitures of this but I was just trying it out and not sure what I was doing at first so this was kind of an expirment that really worked out well! I hope you get the idea here.

1. first check the wiring and make sure it is safe, this one was but you can get rewiring kits if not. I had my husband to do this.





2. drill holes in the base of each cup where you want the beads to go. I drilled 4 in each cup and 4 in the top cup. I also had my husband to do this, power tools scare me! I think you can see where he drilled here.





3. . Paint the whole lamp in the desired color, I chose white. Woo hoo I can do this !






4. String your beads in a pleasant design. I strung 4 chains to hang from the top to each cup and then 4 chains to hook each up together 4 small chains to hang from each cup and then 4 chains with large decorative beads to hang from the lower part of the lamp. Not the best pic but you get the idea.




5. have someone who knows how to mess with electricity to hang your new chandelier and put in your energy saving light bulbs and there you go! A chandelier fit for a little princess!








6 comments:

  1. I'd love one of these for my girls' room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really made the room. I am not even close to finishing up in there but she is loving it. Paulette it was really easy and cheap I dont think I have more than 10 bucks invested in it and I sold the celing fan I took down at a yard sale for that. So it was really free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Beautiful! You did a great job!! Since your daughter is the princess that makes you the Queen of the house!!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was the queen, I feel more like a slave to the kids, lol

    ReplyDelete

Contributors